Eric and his team at Hetherington Funerals provided a beautiful and memorable funeral service for my aunt when she passed away a few months ago. They were caring and professional and delivered a high quality, reasonably priced funeral. They were able to take my ideas and bring them into reality, with a high level of attention to detail. Many people approached me after the service and said it was one of the nicest funerals they had attended and commemorated my aunt’s life so perfectly. This independent, family owned funeral business lived up to its claims of “Our family caring for your family” with their genuine, empathetic and professional approach. l would highly recommend Eric and his team.
Hetherington Funerals did an amazing job in helping organise and implement my Father in law’s Memorial Service.
It was held at their Chapel in Maddington.
We could not fault any of it, it was respectful, dignified and every thing my Mother in law requested.
We had morning tea which was served beautifully and everything was well looked after and unobtrusively topped up (tea/coffee/orange juice etc.)
Everything went so smoothly, not one hitch and the Chapel is such a calming, reflective place.
I would highly recommend Hetherington Funerals to anyone. Definitely a 10 out of 10.
FUNERAL PRE-PLANNING – PREPAID FUNERALS IN PERTH
With so much advertising about funeral pre-planning, it is little wonder so many people get confused about the different options available. Funeral planning is a highly emotional and personal matter, requiring decisions that can have significant financial implications.
The good news is, our experienced funeral planners can help reduce the stress by offering you an easy alternative. Better still, there’s no age limit or medical assessments required before you can put your plans and wishes in place.
Why should I consider a pre-planned funeral?
We believe funeral pre-planning is a parting gift to your loved ones. There is nothing more certain in life than death, but we don’t know when it will occur. Being prepared takes away an enormous burden from those who will have the responsibility of organising the funeral at the time of death.
During the grieving stages, it is very difficult for loved ones to focus on the task of planning a funeral. However, this is a time where questions will be asked and decisions need to be made in order to ensure the funeral is conducted in that special way.
Choosing to pre-plan your funeral allows you to record your wishes. You get to make the decisions ahead of time which means your loved ones are free from some of the stresses that may otherwise come once you pass away.
What are the steps in funeral pre-planning?
Step 1: The Pre-Arrangement
We will help you through the process of pre-arranging your funeral. Each family or individual has different ideas about how the passing of a loved one should be acknowledged or celebrated.
The first decision that needs to be made is whether you would prefer a burial or cremation. After that, you’ll need to decide on a service in our chapel, a church, a crematorium chapel or graveside. Alternatively, you could choose no service at all.
There are many other options to consider for your pre-planned funeral. For example, would you prefer a coffin or casket, do you like the look of a floral tribute, will you require a celebrant or minister for the service, will you need catering, a photo tribute, programmes, funeral notices, or perhaps a mourning coach on the day of the funeral?
Further to helping you make these decisions, we will then collect the essential information required for the completion of the death certificate and other relevant paperwork.
In our experience, those completing a pre-arrangement are given security and comfort in the knowledge that their family will be able to access the funds needed to pay for the funeral when the time comes.
Step 2: Preparing Financially
In our opinion, the preferred method of preparing financially for your funeral is to open a Funeral Bond. These bonds are administered by Funeral Plan Management and come with the following benefits:
- Capital guaranteed investment
- Your money is held in your name
- Tax benefits – your bond is not counted as an asset by Centrelink
- From as little as $50 per month
Step 3: Know your options
There are four main options that are available: funeral insurance, pre-paid funerals, funeral bonds and pre-arrangements.
- Funeral insurance is heavily promoted but in reality, often costs the buyer much more than the actual funeral would cost. You would be required to pay fortnightly/monthly/yearly payments to cover your funeral costs until you pass away. The sad reality is that people spend thousands of dollars more over the years on their payments and premiums than their funeral will ever cost.
- The second option available is to prepay your funeral, whereby you are effectively locking in the decisions you make when preplanning the funeral. For example, you might allow for a viewing, limousine, service, celebrant and flowers. However, when the time comes, the family could decide they don’t want the limousine or viewing. Because it is a locked-in contract, the money belongs to the funeral home, and you are not able to get your money back. Many companies will also add an inflation fee to the pre-paid amount to cover rising costs. This means that if you need to claim your funeral sooner, you may have paid an extra 10-20% on the funeral than it is actually worth.
- Hetherington Funerals strongly encourages the third option – funeral bonds. When you sign a funeral bond, you make the same decisions, and you allow for the same things as you would with a pre-paid funeral. However, at the time of need, if the family decides they do not need the viewing and the limousine, the extra money will get released back to the family. This is because when you sign up a bond, you are allocating money to the funeral, and the money remains your money! It’s still safe, capital guaranteed, but it’s yours. The interest earned is yours too. This means that any money not used on the funeral will be returned to the estate of the deceased.
- The last option available is to simply pre-arrange your funeral. This means that you arrange as much of your funeral as you would like, but you do not put any money down. There are situations where this is a good way to proceed, such as if you have got funeral insurance, or if you have money saved up in a high interest bank account. We can help guide you through the options for pre-planned funerals in Perth, so you can choose the best avenue for you and your family.
Get in touch for more about prepaid funerals in Perth
Complete the online form below or phone us on (08) 9459 2846 and we will make an appointment to visit you in your own home to complete your funeral pre planning arrangements.